1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Kerbal Space Program' started by sonicsteve, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I envy you. I envy you so much :/
    I will get to the mun. Time to work numbers and calculate a trajectory that will at least let me crash there.
  2. The most cowboy way to do it :lol: is launch and get into orbit in the 90o direction and aim for about 200,000km orbit. Then orbit around the earth until the moon is just rising above the horizon and boost in your direction of travel until you map shows a new orbit on a collision course with the moon.
  3. I just built a new ship to do this. It stands at 91m above sea level making it the largest stable ship I've ever built:
    9 stages, 3 RT-10 solid rocket boosters, 45 FL-T400 fuel tanks, 9 LV-T30 liquid fuel engines, 7 LV-T45 liquid fuel engines, 3 S.A.S modules, 1 A.S.A.S module, 30 EAS-4 strut connectors, 3 aerodynamic nose cones, 3 AV-R8 winglets, 8 TR-18A stack decoupler, 4 TVR-1180C Mk1 stack tri-couplers, 2 Telus-LV bay mobility enhancers, 1 Mk-16 Parachute, 3 LT-2 landing struts and the Mk1 command pod.

Attached Files:

4. Apollo 11. My first proper moon landing attempt. I've run orbital tests, landing tests and several others. I'm ready. I've just made it into orbit first try with this craft. Not my smoothest orbit with a height of 195km and a 125 km margin of error. When the moon crosses the horizon I will make my first moon burn.

Edit: I'm orbiting in almost complete parallel with the moon. When it's on one side of Kerth, I'm on the other. Only once in about 5 orbits do I have a chance to make the burn :/
    Edit: Mun will be reached in 6 hours. Time for some orbital correction.

Attached Files:

5. That rocket is massive :cool: WAY bigger than anything Ive ever tried to fly. Good luck and godspeed on your landing LOL
  6. *sniff sniff* I slightly over shot. I still hit the moon but I had to land on the dark side of it... There was no way to see it.. *sniff sniff* I crashed into a bolder on my decent. I didn't see the hilly terrain and rammed into a mountain on my decent at over 1,000m/s. If it wasn't there then I would have landed with a 1/2 full tank of fuel, enough to get back home. These were the last images broadcast home:

Attached Files:

7. Wow a 1000m/s is really fast, You will need to be at around 6m/s for a soft landing. Oh well at least you hit it lol
  8. Yeah :p
    The mountain rose around 2,100m . At 5,000 I began to use a rocket powered decent. I can't remember the exact speed I was at but I had slowed down quite alot. From the fact that I was a stage short of what I had in mind I was still slowing down enough with my lander. If it wasn't there then it would have worked. I had to land in the dark to :cool:

(At least I know the rocket works :lol: )
  9. After many crashes I finally managed to my first moonbase safely to the surface. Funny story the first try I flew all the way into mun orbit then realized I forgot one set of landing struts XD.

Attached Files:

10. Is this the same mod as the Satellites one? Looks cool. Maybe you could launch a rescue mission and get the Kerbal home :p
  11. yes it is using the same mods as the satellites and the kosmos pack.
  12. Some vague level of success has been reached at long last! Here's the story in screenshots... (Everything not included is kind of obvious... These are just extra cool images) I'll let you guess the end of the mission ;)

Attached Files:

13. I kind of lost interest after i found war inc and war z well fps mmo rpg here i come xD i also managedto finaly get in an orbit and land my kerbals safely...
  14. Umm... where? Kerbin? The Mun? Minmus? The Sun?
  15. Well i have the demo so i dont have minmus and really bad rockets so the mun is out and the sun takes all the fuel from my best rocket so i would say i was in kerbal orbit and had enough fuel to get back down safely after about 5 orbits.
  16. Awesome. Small tip (works for demo): Make sure that your spacecraft is above 70,000m at every point during your orbit. Check this by looking at the two tabs A and P. A is your maximum hight and P is the lowest. If you orbit lower than 70,000m then as you move around you loose speed.
  17. XD That is exactly what happened XD!!! When I tried to flip over the ship it exploded. Yeah... I also flew to the North Pole using a spaceplane. As there's no time warp within the atmosphere it took me an hour of strait out flight. After I landed the plane glided away on the ice surprisingly quickly... Then it exploded :/ So same story just up North :p

Attached Files:

18. Cool. I still have to try a plane. How hard was it to build and fly?
  19. You really need to know where you want to go before you fly. I have a smaller but faster one which I call the Mantis which would never get there. Flying is a pain though as there's no time warp :/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.