1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Release = New Main Map!

Discussion in 'General' started by Pythros, Oct 2, 2011.

1. When 1.9 comes out, we will NOT be going to a temp map this round. Instead, we will continue on 1.8.1 so do NOT update Minecraft when it comes around. While 1.9 is here, we will monitor plugins and such for updates. Once we update the server to 1.9, staff and I will be working on the new map side by side the current map on the same server. No, you will not be able to come over until we say so. DO NOT ask when this is. The terrain will be different and will not match how biomes and terrains are painted out.

Once we are on our new main map, the current main map will be read-only such as Exiled 2.0. Meaning, you can't make any changes there, however, you will still be able to access your chest. You can use this to do a "fresh" start if you like or you can put in a ticket (DO IT ONLY ONCE) via /modreq with giving the coordinates of your current structure, town, home, etc. location in the current main map and the coordinates where you want it in the new map. You will need to be patient with us as there will be a large amount requests and tickets are typically done in the order they were placed.

With 1.9, The Wastelands will officially replace the Nether. All Nether specific content and blocks will be in The Wastelands. Currently you will notice you are unable to visit the Nether. This is by design to give you the opportunity to get used to it during this transition. You will not be disappointed with The Wastelands. PvP will be enabled, all those who are there will have the title name of Nomad instead of Citizen, griefing may or may not be allowed or to some extent. Towns are permissible in The Wastelands. The Wastelands will be a desert where it is always noon and always in a thunderstorm.

Sometime soon I hope to have a creative map/world for people to have fun with. I'm looking for a few item constriction plugins to prevent items from getting abused by this. Again, do not ask when this is as it may never happen.

More to come...
  2. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

You folks can reply in this thread if you have questions. Also, the new map will be either 3000 or 4000 blocks in radius. For frame of reference, the current map is 2000 in radius. Meaning, 2000 blocks from the spawn point when you start on the server... in the Tower of Arhi. :)

I think this will give you plenty of space. Don't forget, 1 block is 1 meter so our new world will either be 6000 or 8000 meters wide! ^_^
  3. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

It will suck for those players that build there home at 3-4000 blocks, forget to set home, die, and realize that they have to walk all the way back :lol:
  4. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

Well... my word of advice... don't build so far away if you don't like the walk. ;)
  5. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

Wasn't planning on it :D
  6. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

My advice is to remember that helpful little command when you build that house :p
  7. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

I really like the idea of a new map :)
    Maybe we could set the borders at 8,000 cause the bigger a map we have, the more room there is for everything ^^
  8. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

If we cant go over to see the new map, how will be able to know the coords of the new map we want our structues
  9. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

Your structures will be moved once we open up the new map, I believe. So, that means you end up waiting until we get the new map up, and then you will be able to get on to the 1.9 map. Once there, you can travel back to the old map (the current one), put a modreq in to move it to new co-ords.

Questions:

Along the lines of moving stuff: How high up do you have to be on the staff ladder to help out with that?
    Are all staff going to be shaping up the new map, or just some? And what will they be doing, exactly?
    Will the Badlands have mobs spawning in them?
    Why no Nether?
    If the new sky dimension comes out, will we replace that with something else as well?

An idea:
    To limit the greifing thing, you could have a build code of only wooden and burnable objects, and then the only griefing (because we all know that with PvP in a certain area, with towns being built in it, we will end up with some kind of war at some point) could be fire! Torch their towns! Burn, baby, burn!
    That's assuming there is a way to make it so that you protect the buildings for each person, yet can still have anyone set fire to them. This would make it neat, because you could really have a purpose for gates, motes, lava walls, booby traps, and the like.

You know, with booby traps, I can envision an Indiana Jones style thing: Dispensers two walls of a square, facing each other. Every floor block covered in pressure pads. Some of them are connected to the dispensers loaded with arrows, and some aren't. Only those who know the path will get through unharmed...Cool.

But I digress....
  10. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

So there will be pvp? If so, will it be everywhere but spawn? If someone wants a whole town transferred to the 1.9 map and the terrain picked isn't compatible with the layout of the town, will the town be ruined, or will it ignore the terrain and be placed exactly like it is in the current main map? (hope that makes sense)
  11. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

As far as I know, PvP will definitely be enabled in the Wastelands (which is what I was talking about in the last part of my post, by the way). It is quite likely that it will be enabled in most other areas of the map as well, though.

Terrain can be re-done, but it would be better if you picked a place that closely resembled the area your town originally resided in.
  12. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

Cool, i think pvp will be a welcomed addition to the server, as long as people dont take it too far...
    So the only things that will be moved over is the actual structures, not the landscape? Alright, lets hope i can find a suitable location :)
  13. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

If its that big the server will be incredibly laggy also theres no real lack os space at the moment but an extra 2000 or so would be a welcome addition.
  14. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

And remember kids: Don't quote me. I could be wrong, for all I know, the surrounding 100 blocks could be transported, I just don't see why that would happen.

Edit: This just in! Read the Word of Notch, boys and girls, because he's holding off on any releases! Looks to me like he'll just be releasing the 1.9 prereleases, and then will have everything in the final version for the launching of Minecraft in November.
  15. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

In case everyone managed to miss my last edit: What do you think of this latest news?

I assume it means we won't be updating until the final version of minecraft is released on stage? Because the plugins can't really be updated once weekly...

Anyways, Pythros(who my questions were aimed at earlier), I still haven't heard an answer on any of the following:

Questions:

Along the lines of moving stuff: How high up do you have to be on the staff ladder to help out with that?
    Are all staff going to be shaping up the new map, or just some? And what will they be doing, exactly?
    Will the Badlands have mobs spawning in them?
    Why no Nether?
    If the new sky dimension comes out, will we replace that with something else as well?

An idea:
    To limit the greifing thing, you could have a build code of only wooden and burnable objects, and then the only griefing (because we all know that with PvP in a certain area, with towns being built in it, we will end up with some kind of war at some point) could be fire! Torch their towns! Burn, baby, burn!
    That's assuming there is a way to make it so that you protect the buildings for each person, yet can still have anyone set fire to them. This would make it neat, because you could really have a purpose for gates, motes, lava walls, booby traps, and the like.

You know, with booby traps, I can envision an Indiana Jones style thing: Dispensers two walls of a square, facing each other. Every floor block covered in pressure pads. Some of them are connected to the dispensers loaded with arrows, and some aren't. Only those who know the path will get through unharmed...Cool.

But I digress....
  16. Everdras Bit Shifter

Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

I'd imagine it'd just be Head Mods and up, since they are already familiar with the tools needed.

Once again, probably just the Head Mods. For the same reason, they're already all familiar with the nuances and dangers of WorldEdit.

Yep.

The nether was removed because Pythros doesn't like that it's modeled after Hell. The Wastelands will replace it.

The Skylands, if/when Notch adds them, will be left as-is.
  17. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

Ah, it all makes sense now!

Thanks, Everdras. Glad to have my worries put to rest.
  18. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

Once again, probably just the Head Mods. For the same reason, they're already all familiar with the nuances and dangers of WorldEdit.

Wait I learned the limitations of W.E. on the temp map and what this server can manage... not everyone cant use world edit properly :)
  19. Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

Not to argue too much about this, but I can't use it very well...I have the instructions right next to me when I use it in SMP so I can do stuff...
  20. Everdras Bit Shifter

Re: 1.9 = New Main Map!

The last time we let everyone use WE, we had to replace the temp map because the old one had a region where someone messed up with WE and the entire area around that mistake would crash the server if you entered it.