1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT HELP REQUIRED

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by 09jnewington, Dec 12, 2011.

1. guys, my acer aspire laptop recently died.. and I really need some help fixing it, when I turn it on, this comes up:

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v14.0.8
    Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Broadcom Corporation
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corperation
    All Rights Reserved
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
    No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

PLEASE HELP!! i am eternally greatfull to the man who provides the practical answer to this
  2. Ah! I have had this problem with my own laptop.

Turn it off. Then turn it on again. When it happened to me, I was highly destraught, and near tears. (it's a new laptop.) I pressed the power button and held it, so that it had a forced restart. After a few minutes, I turned it back on, and I would suggest to you that you start windows (or whatever) in safe mode. Once you do that, you can turn it off again, and start it up normally.

Another option is to turn it off, turn it back on, enter the boot setup, and choose to boot from the hard drive.

Problem solved.

Whatever you do, DO NOT PUT THE OPERATING SYSTEM DISC IN!
  3. Everdras Bit Shifter

Your hard drive may have failed. How old is the laptop?

Go into your BIOS settings (at the BIOS load screen, it should say "F2 for Setup, F12 for Boot Menu", select Setup.)

Once in, go to "Boot order" or something to that effect.

Make sure that your hard drive is set to a higher priority than PXE (attempts to boot from an OS found on the network).

Also, make sure that it detects your hard drive.
  4. Everdras Bit Shifter

If that doesn't work, you could try a hard reset of your CMOS.

You'll have to open up your computer and have an anti-static bracelet/thing handy. You need to pop out the little battery that looks like a watch battery, leave it out for like 2 mins, then put it back in and try to boot. You'll have to reset your system time after this, but meh.
  5. If none of that works, what is the operating system you are using?
  6. Everdras Bit Shifter

inb4 deleted System32

Though I think that wouldn't cause the issue here, actually, since I think the hard drive partition would still be flagged as bootable.

I'm worried that it's prolly either the hard drive's gone bad, or a cable or something is loose somewhere under the hood, or boot order is messed up. Because if it's none of those, then the drive is either bad or you managed to lose your partitions somehow.
  7. I know he uses WindowsXp. Hope that helps!
  8. That old?
    Poor thing. My deepest condolences.
  9. I use windows 7... the laptop is nearly a year old
  10. Well, when that happened to my Windows 7 computer, I did the two things I listed. Try them, or try Ever's fix. Whichever. Or try Pyth's. But try something!
  11. I press f2 and go into 'boot' and there there is

Boot priority order:
    1.IDEO:
    2. USB FDD:
    3.Network Boot: LEGACY PCI DEVICE
    4.USB HDD:
    5.USB CD/DVD ROM :
    6.IDE1 : Optiatric DVD RW AD-7585H

okay, Ill try your guys suggestions, thanks a bunch!
  12. Well I haven't seen it for almost two months so there's room for mistake. And I pick option 2!
  13. Everdras Bit Shifter

Only a year? If the hard drive was new when you bought it, then there's no reason for it to have failed.
  14. If you can get a hold for another computer with Windows 7, you can create a bootable flash drive or CD to attempt a repair/recover. I had to do that not too long ago. If you know who the hard drive manufacture is, you can download one of their various hard drive diagnostic tools.